Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"There's no crying when you go adventure-seeking, Ed Wardle!"

I've only seen segments of National Geographic's series, Alone in the Wild, which recounts adventurer Ed Wardle's 50-day odyssey in the Alaskan Yukon. That is, Wardle lasted 50 days of what was supposed to be a 3-month (or so) survival trek. Check out the story here at National Geographic, complete with video and text.

From the NG site: "Ed Wardle is a Scottish television producer, director, camera operator and adventurer. Wardle summitted Mount Everest in 2007 while filming Everest: Beyond the Limit for the Discovery Channel. He summitted the mountain again in 2009. In 2008 he took part in a guided 'last degree' expedition to the North Pole. In 2009 Wardle filmed a documentary, Alone in the Wild, for Channel 4 and the National Geographic Channel. Wardle was dropped off in Yukon Territory in Northern Canada in order make a documentary discovering what it was like to live totally alone in the wild, living off the land and the wildlife he could legally catch. His only means of communication with the outside world was via Twitter posting each day. His video diaries had detailed his problems finding food and his inability to cope with the solitude. His bodyweight fell by 28 pounds and heart rate fell to below 30 beats per minute by the end of his adventure."

From what I've watched this is a helluv an adventure for anyone to go through. The only problem I had with Ed is that for a large portion of the segments I watched, Ed cried. He cried a lot. Now I realize the guy's grappling with mental and physical stresses on his body but the crying (and the crying and the crying) got to the point of being a turn-off. And I'm not the only viewer who expressed those sentiments. Here are Wardle's thoughts after his 50-day adventure.

Still, it's worth watching. My close college buddy, Jim Sickels, and I will soon be embarking on our own "adventure" - walking Wisconsin's Ice Age Trail. 1200 miles in 3 or 4 years - however long it takes. It's certainly not comparable to Wardle's tale, but we do what we can. Still - I'll try not to cry.

NOTE: Jim never cries, but I do get emotional.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails