Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Got dirt in me shoes & bits of skull at me feet. "A Skull in Connemara" feckin' awesome!

That's right - those are bits of skull left over from the A+ production of Martin McDonagh's "A Skull in Connemara" by Theatre Tribe in North Hollywood.

Billed as "a bone crushing dark feckin' comedy", this was one of the best theater experiences of my life (as a patron). Theater Tribe is an intimate space - I don't think it's even a 99-seat theater. I sat in the front row - I did some research on the play and I wanted to be in the thick of the action (ergo...the bits of dirt and skull left at my feet). McDonagh wrote the screenplay, In Bruges; won a 2007 Academy Award for his short film, Six Shooter, and has published some wonderfully dark Irish plays - including, "The Cripple of Innishmaan" (reading), "The Pillowman" (read), "The Lieutenant of Innishmore" (read) and "The Beauty Queen of Leenane" (Tony winner). I enjoy his sense of humor and his dark comedy.

Director Stuart Rogers outdid himself. The acting was superb (Irish accents were excellent and I'm a stickler for 'either do them right or don't do them at all' - which would be hard 'cause it takes place in Ireland), the story was fascinating and the set - never saw anything quite like it. In front of my eyes, the Irish cottage was transformed into a graveyard - I mean the actors were actually standing in half-dug graves shoveling dirt. If part of the job of theater is to make one believe you're actually there (that's a rhetorical question), it succeeded. I congratulate the actors - Morlan Higgins, John K. Linton, Jeff Kerr McGivney and Jayne Taini (that's Jenny O'Hara above, who was taking the night off), as well as the crew. Brav-feckin'-o!

Here's the review in Variety. I went last Saturday on closing night. The audience's rousing cheers and clapping soon morphed into a beat that complemented the Irish music and we continued clapping until the actors returned for a 2nd bow. Too bad. You missed a great show.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails