Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Buying a CD? How 'bout "Christine Balfa Plays the Triangle"?


No...I'm not kidding. I listen to NPR a lot. And I've heard a lot of odd-ball stories - but not on NPR. This is a cake-topper. "For those who think all Cajun music sounds exactly the same, a new CD tries to dispel that pervasive and dangerous myth...a whopping 55 minutes of unadulterated solo triangle."

Those are NPR's words - not mine. Christine Balfa is the leader of the Cajun band, Balfa Toujours - and she's the daughter of legendary Cajun fiddler, Dewey Balfa. She sings and plays guitar with the band, but on this solo album, it's pure triangle. "Pure", baby.

Producer Chas Justus explains, "Melodic or harmonic content just gets in the way of, you know, what the triangle can really...The nuances that can really be brought out...You'll notice the nuances and the differences."

Now I dare you - no...I challenge you to go the story on NPR. There's an interview with Justus and the interviewer mentions two songs from the album, saying non-triangle aficionados might say both tunes sound alike. Or you can listen to two other songs from the album - "Cheres Joues Roses" and "The Balfa Waltz" - listed there in the story. Listen - and learn.

Justus pontificates. "There's a lot of people who think it sounds the same...to some ears it does sound the same, but when you really go through it and get into the music and feel it and love it, you'll notice the nuances."

Above: "PLAY THE MOFO TRIANGLE, white boy!"

Really, Chas? "Nuances" of the triangle? Part of me is saying this story is a joke. That the interviewer can't be serious. But that's not NPR's m.o. I shit you not - in both sets of songs - do they NOT sound exactly the same? Now perhaps I'm just a dumb ass. Perhaps I'm tone deaf and didn't know it. Could it be..no. I'm definitely not an anti-triangle-ite, am I? I have not one issue with the triangle as a musical instrument in combination with other instruments. Matter-of-fact, I'm sure Brian Wilson has used a triangle in a number of his songs. But the triangle as a solo instrument? Na-uh. Don't take my word for it. Listen yourself.

"No overdubs," as Justus states. "Lightning in a bottle." Really, Chas? (Didn't I just say that?) Well, I just purchased Taylor Mills' latest album "Lullagoodbye". And there's not a one triangle to be heard. I'll stick with Taylor.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails