Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

"One of Hollywood's most respected actors"?

Will Smith. That's what MSN.com said about Smith in their tribute to dad's on this morning's front page. "One of Hollywood's most respected actors" doesn't come to mind when I think of Will Smith. Not that he doesn't get respect or deserve that respect. But - as a writer I take issue with blanket statements made about people that dilute the adjectives used in describing them and are disguised to seemingly come from a place of knowledge and finite-ess (is that a word?). The media does this all the time.

Follow? Like if someone said, "David Spade, one of the funniest men of our times". See? I think David's funny, but "of our times"? Abe Lincoln goes with "our times". Paul Newman goes with "our times". Bob Hope goes with "our times". When you take a phrase or adjective and connect it with someone, you have to figure that the greater majority of people will agree with you.

"Actor" Will Smith or "funnyman Will Smith", or maybe even "respected actor" Will Smith (though that even sounds odd).

My dear friend Leslie Chariper wrote this about me for a recommendation letter: "I believe that Jeffrey James Ircink is one of our most gifted playwrights working today." "Most"? I believe I'm a talented writer, but "one of the most..."? Debatable. But I didn't write it - and she could have been puffing me up for the play festival - as I said, it was a recommendation letter. Brett Favre. I say he's the greatest QB ever. But I'm allowed to say that in the privacy of my home or around family 'cause I'm a Packer fan and I'm from Wisconsin and I'm right. Ha. But in public, I say "arguably the best QB ever" because I may be biased and I don't wanna come off as a psycho.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails