Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Good Gray Poet touting Levi's?



Walt Whitman endorsing Levi's? Say it ain't so, Walt? I'm sure you've seen these ads. I won't comment on them - read this article from Slate.com.

Whether it's Michael Jordan's Nike's or Elizabeth Taylor perfume, celebrities moonlighting as Madison Avenue hawkers is as common as...well, as poop. The public's affinity for coveting products touted by a favored actor or athlete says, I think, more about people's desperation to live their lives through someone else's than it does about the celebrity making a buck.

I'm a big fan of Whitman's - my favorite poet. Being a writer and having worked as an advertising agency copywriter, I understand the creative nudge for wanting to marry Whitman's poetry with a product like Lev's - a product engrained in Americana as much as Whitman is engrained in America's literary history. But I'm also leery of making Walt a spokesperson for a product without his permission. I get the public domain thing. Still...well, you be the judge. Levi's began this campaign this past summer; the commercial above contains a snippet of "Pioneers! O Pioneers!". The commercial in the Slate.com article uses portion of Whitman's, "America". It's thought that the voiceover in the "America" spot is an actual recording of Whitman's voice.

Levi's were around when Whitman was alive. It's likely he may have even worn a pair or two.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails