Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"This door must remain unlocked during business hours."

While at Winchell's (see post above) I saw this sign above the main entrance. Someone please explain this placard to me, seen above every door in every retail establishment.


I understand it's fire code but I still don't get it. I understand people are supposed to be able to exit the building during a fire - I'm not a dumb ass. But aren't the front doors of a business generally open anyway? Otherwise how would customers get into the store? Why would you open a flower store only to leave your front door locked and not allow customers in? Is it for insurance purposes or to protect against lawsuits?

I'm over-thinking this, aren't I? I think it's a stupid ordinance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a result of the Triangle Factory Fire in 1911. Not all places of business sell, some are manufacturing establishment. When this garment factory caught on fire workers were trapped because the doors were locked, both to keep them in during working hours and to prevent theft. It led to a lot of new labor and safety regulations, and happened one hundred years ago on March 25.

weakknees@gbpackersfan.com said...

ahhhhh...and the anniversary of said fire just occurred. thanks for enlightening me. appreciate the info - and the read. favorite this blog. some good stuff passes these halls.

jeff

Anonymous said...

I have a business that remains locked and it is open to customers by appointment only. However, the city ordinance requires that I have the sign or an occupancy permit will not be issued. Failure to have an occupancy permit will result in severe fines. The doors will remain locked because of security and with a key in the door lock will be opened in case of a fire, other emergency and to allow the customer to leave when the customer so directs.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails