Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

uncle tom's poetry.

My dad's middle brother, Tom, passed away in August of 2003 at the age of 65. Day after my birthday. Unbeknownst to me, my Uncle Tom was a poet. Only a handful of people knew he wrote - even less had actually read his work. My father had no clue until his brother had passed (Tom was a year younger than Dad). Now I have in my possession over 100 poems of his to prove it.

The poems were in my Aunt Evelyn's safekeeping. I feel a bit slighted - that Uncle Tom didn't share his talent with us when he was alive. I would've loved the chance to tell him how good of a poet he was. It's obvious his intent was to publish his poetry - in his notes, "The Thoughts of a Man" as a book title was brought up several times. He made inquiries to various publishers; to no avail.

So I've taken it upon myself to go through my uncle's poems and assemble a book of his poetry, just like my self-published Blurb book, PASSION = TRUTH (order it here - what?...always promote! yes!). And Uncle Tom will finally have his wish. I've just begun the process of reading his work. It's gonna take some time. (That dark lettering on the bottom left of the cover is already bugging me. Too hard to see.)

Incidentally, I realize the appeal of poetry to some can be - well, it can be ethereal. Subjective, airy, pie in the sky, head in the clouds stuff, rhyming bullshit. So I chose one of Uncle Tom's poems to share, one I'm sure most can relate to:


"A Little Drunk"

I came home, I think a little drunk that day.
I was a little drunk 'cause I didn't have enough money
to get drunk all the way.
But I was feeling rather good, a little numb,
also gitty and a little dumb.
I could hardly walk, it happens don't you see,
I couldn't find the house much less t
he key.
I knew somehow that this must be the place.
I remember the light in the window, and also falling on my face.
I got up and didn't feel a thing, except that at that point
I started to sing.
'Carry Me Back', I guess was the song.
I don't think it lasted long.
It was a goofy way to end the day, and the next time I get drunk,
I'm going to get drunk all the way.

Copyright © Thomas Ircink, 1971

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails