Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Road rage on a track. NASCAR Stooge 1 & 2.

I don't follow NASCAR. No interest. Rather watch curling. But the recent headlines concerning drivers Carl Edwards (top) and Brad Keselowski (bottom, and my, my...not a flattering pic of Brad there) piqued my interest. Not in NASCAR the sport - but in the mentality of some of it's drivers, industry representatives and fans.

If you're a NASCAR fan, I'd advise you not to click on READ MORE! to read my thoughts.


Watch the crash here. Long story short: Edwards and Keselowski have an on-going feud. Keselowski bumped into Edwards' car in a race last year (apparently this is Keselowski's MO) and Edwards retaliated at the Atlanta 500 this past weekend, bumping into Keselowski's car and inadvertently flipping the car into a guard fence. No one was injured.

So the NASCAR world is in a hubbub over this feud between two of its babies, this particular incident and whether or not Edwards will receive some sort of punishment.

Now Edwards has said that he never meant to send Keselowski airborne, and that there was possibly just an intent to spin him. But if you check out Edward's status on his Facebook site, makes you wonder how repentant he is:

"My options: Considering that Brad wrecks me with no regard for anyone's safety or hard work, should I: A - Keep letting him wreck me? B - Confront him after the race? C - Wait til Bristol and collect other cars? or D - Take care of it now? I want to be clear that I was surprised at his flight and very relieved when he walked away. Every person has to decide what code they want to live by and hopefully this explains mine."

It does...that you're an asshole. Now...I'm firmly convinced that the only reason Edwards is Mr. Tough Guy on his FB page is because Keselowski was uninjured. I guarantee you had there been an injury, Edwards' tone would be different. NASCAR's recent "back to the basics" campaign of loosening its rules is intended to please its hard-core fans. Even NASCAR columnist Mike Mulhern stated in an unrelated interview, "...That comes amid declining crowds and sluggish TV ratings, and a sense that NASCAR might need to put some more pizzazz into this whole sport." Even Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage doesn't believe Edwards deserves to be suspended, especially after NASCAR told drivers they would be allowed to police themselves on the track this season, a throwback to the old days when drivers meted out punishment through paybacks.

So I left this comment on Edwards' FB page - "would you be saying this (in reference to Edwards' status that i mentioned above) if Brad had gotten killed in the wreck? not a fan of the sport, but if this "feud" crap and the need NASCAR to return to its roots means the potential of injury, is it all worth it? this ain't the Old West. screw Brad and Carl - what if a spectator in the stands would've gotten hurt. a child, let's say? if this is the mentality that's prevalent in most of Nascar drivers and fans, i'm not surprised i don't watch it."

The fans are just as bad. Take a look at some of the comments. And these are just the women:

Holly Webb - "I applaud you!"

Chris Ferguson Rehm - "I haven't watched NASCAR since my man Earnhardt died. I think I just found a reason to start back. Good job, Carl, I'll be watching you."

Kimmy Brooks - "I love how all these people are so up in arms about what you did...That dumb little teenager had it coming, I'm sorry. He's been pulling this shit every week it seems. Payback was due. End of goddamn story."

Wanda Jangula - "You did the right thing..."

Connie Marzofka - "I felt fair is fair if Brad can't take it he shouldn't dish it !!!!!! Go Carl!!!!!"

Linda McCrumb - "Way to go Carl!! I was hoping someone would finally give back to that jerk #12!!"

Nice. Collective IQ = 1, Over 6,000 fans LIKED Edwards' status and just over 6,000 fans left a comment. Yes - there are fans who admonished Edwards' actions, but they're few and far between.

Back to Edwards' FB status. What he should have done is file a complaint with NASCAR and not stoop to Keselowski's level. If NASCAR turned a deaf ear, so be it. They're to share in the blame. THAT would've been the mature and responsible course of action. Very fucking simple. When you're behind the wheel of a race car going 200+ mph, you don't act like you're at the OK Corral. Shame on NASCAR. Shame on Stooge 1 & 2. Shame on the fans. Wonder what actor Paul Newman's would've said if her were alive and racing? Interesting that I don't hang around any NASCAR people. I wonder why?

2 comments:

jeff ircink said...

FYI: the NASCAR governing body decided today to give Edwards a 3-week probation. that's it. a spokesman for NASCAR stated (paraphrasing), "we'll know at what point to step in...when the line is crossed."

guess this incident didn't "cross the line" yet. NASCAR will wait until someone is killed (either a driver or a spectator). THEN NASCAR will step in. dumbfucks.

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

sorry - 3-game suspension.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails