Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Valentine's Day postscript: My friend Ed Cotter passed away.

Ed Cotter directed me in two different productions of the musical, Blood Brothers here in California. Interestingly, the word is that Ed mentioned to someone recently that the loss of his wife, De, in 2007 had been weighing heavily on his heart. They had been married for over 60 years, I think, and inseparable. He told this person he wanted to be with his wife on Valentine's Day.

His heart gave way - on Valentine's Day this past weekend.

Ed was a supporter of mine. He was my friend. He mostly directed and produced - but he did act. He was a film editor on Happy Days for years, garnering an Emmy for his work. When accepting his award, he said that he did very little "editing" on the episode he won for because Henry Winkler made is so easy for him (Ed) NOT to edit. There were a number of productions I had chances to work with Ed on other than Blood Brothers - Oleanna, The Lion in Winter, The Beauty Queen of Leenane. The timing was always off.

The character trait of Ed's I admired most was his passion. As you know from the title of this blog, PASSION's vital to my existence. When we were doing Blood Brothers and a critic ripped on the show (not the performance - the show itself), Ed went into a tyrannical rage. I followed suit. "How can you not love this show?", he'd scream, the tone in his voice made me shake - with delight. Oddly enough, when I did Blood Brothers at Riverside Theatre in Iowa City, Ron Clark and Jody Hovland echoed the same sentiments as Ed. Their demeanor was a tad more subdued (but still passionate!).

"Fuck anyone who hates that show! Fuck them!" That's what Ed and I would say. He's with De now. I'm happy for him. And I'm sad for my loss. It's what he wanted.

To quote the Narrator/Conductor/Me in Blood Brothers, "Exactly, lad. Exactly!"

POSTSCRIPT: Had a very nice talk yesterday with Marion Ross from Happy Days. I called her to tell her of Ed's death. I met her through Ed while performing in Blood Brothers. Wonderful lady. Spoke very highly of Ed. She was quick to remind me that Ed was the only person associated with Happy Days to win an Emmy.

2 comments:

greendale said...

Jeff,
So sorry about your friend Ed. I'm sure he's smiling down on you and saying "hey, I'm with my love again, I'll be okay>"

flutterby said...

Love always ends badly. Either someone leaves you and your heart is broken, or someone dies and your heart is still broken. But I wouldn't trade the pain for the friendship. You will see Ed in your dreams.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails