Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Vegan Reuben? I'll take cardboard - it's cheaper.

I had lunch with a friend at a vegan restaurant in Santa Monica last week. I thought, 'OK, I'm game'. Mistake.

I love reuben sandwiches. Can't beat the corn beef. But trust me - do not order a reuben at ANY vegan establishment. I wanted to heave. Now that's not to say everything on the menu is as distasteful as my reuben. My friend had a vegan pasta that was really good.

Which led me to investigate what exactly corn beef is made out of...if it's not meat.

INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 4 dried juniper berries, crushed into powder (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten


There's your vegan corn beef. It's almost as if they - well here, let me look around on my desk. I've got a calculator, yellow highlighter, cell phone, eye drops, manila file folder, rubber thumb protector, soda cup from Quiznos and a lava lamp. Put that all together and VOILA! - you got your vegan corn beef.

Had I seen this recipe beforehand I would've ordered that pasta.

UPDATE: The name of the restaurant in Santa Monica is Real Food Daily. And the reuben picture above is not my own, but from "Vegan Dad" on the Stanford Wellsphere site. I didn't have my camera with me that day to take a picture of my sandwich, which I will note was sadder looking than almost every other picture I've seen online. "Vegan Dad" enjoyed his vegan reuben and "Foodeater" in LA pointed out to me that a vegan reuben at one eatery is not necessarily the same as a vegan reuben at another. Good point.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't like it, when done well a vegan reuben sandwich can taste delicious. My blog post which you took this photo from shows a reuben sandwich from Flore, which is in Silver Lake, not Santa Monica... and it tastes nothing like cardboard. I'm guessing where you really ate was at Real Food Daily since they also serve a reuben, but it looks nothing like this one.

In the future would you please use your own photos instead of taking them from my blog without permission? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

BUSTED! hahaha!

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

sorry foodeater. my mistake. i emailed you at your blog. please read.

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

by the way lex, though it looks that way, it was never my intention to pass off this picture as my own.

Anonymous said...

no worries, good show on graciously remedying the problem.

btw, this part is HILARIOUS!
"It's almost as if they - well here, let me look around on my desk. I've got a calculator, yellow highlighter, cell phone, eye drops, manila file folder, rubber thumb protector, soda cup from Quiznos and a lava lamp. Put that all together and VOILA! - you got your vegan corn beef."

TJF said...

Check out portlandveganreubens.blogspot.com for some examples of tasty vegan reubens. In all the vegan reubens I've reviewed, probably only one tasted like cardboard, and that was made with grocery-store variety veggie slices. Personally tempeh is my favorite, though if you go into it expecting it to taste like corned beef, yeah, you're going to be disappointed. (I was a huge fan of meat reubens before I went vegan, and a vegan reuben is a different type of experience but one I obviously enjoy frequently).

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails