Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Why don't blacks consider the "NAACP" name offensive?

The historical election of our first black President has people - black and white - talking about "change" and "hope". So let's talk about change - for the black man. If I were a black man (which I'm not), I might take offense at the phrase, "colored people", which is considered politically incorrect today by the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People). So why does the NAACP continue to use "colored people" in the title of its organization?

Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., said, "The term 'colored' is not derogatory, [the NAACP] chose the word 'colored' because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time (1909). It's outdated and antiquated but not offensive."

I disagree. I bet if I walked up to a black man and referred to him as "colored" his reaction would be something less than "not offensive".

It's your turn, NAACP. According to the rhetoric of President Obama's own election campaign, it's "Time for Change"; there's HOPE in the world now that the first black president has been elected. Hope and Change for all of us. So don't you think the NAACP's name should be changed to reflect your culture as it stands today? Something like NAAAA (National Association for the Advancement of African Americans)?

Naaaa. I bet that never happens.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails