Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Friday, January 30, 2009

"Burn After Reading". Burn before watching, how 'bout?

You'd think 12 Oscar wins/nominations between both the Coen brothers (winners), George Clooney (winner), Frances McDormand (winner), John Malkovich (nominated), Tilda Swinton (winner), Brad Pitt (nominated), Richard Jenkins (nominated) and Emmanuel Lubecki (nominated - cinematographer) would up the odds that a movie is successful. I'm not talking box office success - but the plot, story, writing, etc. Critical success.

Not in this case. Here I'm all ready for a funny, Coen brothers flick (lured by the trailers which truly were the best parts of the film) and...ended up like some poor sonofabitch who shoots blanks. Like I was listening to a funny joke, and the joke ends 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through and I never hear the punchline.

"My sentiments exactly, Brad."

Malkovich clearly was consistently the most entertaining. Clooney and Pitt had moments (Clooney, the "I-gotta-run" bit and his homemade "toy"; Pitt, his scene with Malkovich). Jenkins was good - everyone played their part well. Pitt's character was a stretch. He's supposed to be a dolt - and funny. He wasn't funny. So this lends me to think the issue was with the script and the directing.

Oddly enough, the movie was nominated at the 2009 Golden Globe awards for Best Comedy or Musical and for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy or Musical. The National Board of Review named the movie to their list of the Top 10 Movies of 2008. Noel Murray of The A.V. Club named it the 2nd best film of 2008, Empire magazine named it the 3rd best film of 2008, and Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly named it the 7th best film of 2008.

(scratching my head). Glad I didn't pay to see this. Perhaps the commentary in the movie on the "idiocy of America" was also a reference to "how many suckers we can pull in at the box office, on this one, eh, Joel?". OK - gonna go watch reruns of Small Wonder now.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails