Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"The L Word" series finale? Lez than fulfilling. Whoo!

I know - it's just a television show.

So was MASH, Seinfeld and The Sopranos. Seems "The L Word" creator Ilene Chaiken has pissed off millions of faithful viewers of her popular Showtime drama that made lipstick lesbians in West Hollywood chic for six seasons. And I don't blame them. The viewers, that is.

I missed Seasons 3 & 4 (I think...the whole Dana cancer storyline) because I didn't have Showtime, which sucked because Dana was my favorite character. The series finale was built up to monumental status..."Who Killed Jenny Schecter?" You were made privy to the fact that she died in the first episode and the rest of the season was devoted to "flashbacking" the events that lead up to Jenny's death.

The problem is that in last night's series finale, the question, "Who Killed Jenny Schecter?" was never answered with any finality. Quite frankly, all the characters had a motive to kill Jenny. I had a motive...Jenny was a bitch and I wanted her dead since last season. (The character turn that Jenny took was too sudden and unbelievable for me. I blame the writers for that.)

Everyone has their own theory on what happened, but no one really knows for certain. I, for one, think Jenny committed suicide. It was really the only honorable thing left for the bitch to do. And I don't think any of the other lesbians are "killers" in the purest sense of the word. The only for-sure clues the audience is given are the following:

1) Bette was the last person the audience SAW with Jenny - ripping her a new one on the stair landing where the railing was yet unfinished. This was during the day.

2) Alice was the one who entered the living room announcing Jenny was dead (floating in the pool). Where she was just prior to that we don't know. All the main characters were present in that room. There was no indication how long Jenny had been in the pool and it was evening out. Oddly, Chaiken's new pitch, "The Farm", is about straight women and lesbians in prison and the lead character is Alice. Why is Alice in prison? Could it be that in "The Farm" we'll find out she killed Jenny? Chaiken said that premise would not necessarily be the correct one. Odd.

3) Alice's girlfriend, Tasha, enters after Jenny's body has been shipped off to the morgue and the cast is sitting around in shock with the police.

4) Nikki (the actress) is found in the bushes near the pool by police. No - it's not even clear cut that she did it. She was on her way to the party, saw the cop commotion and hid. That's what she said anyway.

5) There's talk of an "L Word" movie, which may be another reason why the series (and the who murdered Jenny) were not wrapped up so tightly.

Here's the problem I have with taking a cop-out approach. On SheWired.com, Chaiken was asked why was Jenny Schecter killed at all? And Chaiken said, "I think the entire season is dedicated to answering that question. So I think that I would be doing the show a disservice if I were to answer it. I mean, really you're meant to want to know the answer to that throughout the entire season."

And yet, we didn't get the answer. I don't understand why writers and producers feel the need to be cute and mysterious? I don't mind "twist" endings (as a playwright) - at least there's some finality. I think it comes down to selfishness (creators) and greed ("The L Word" movie). It's akin to a guy manipulating marionettes - or puppets. Control and power - there's your answer. 'I created this series and I can end it anyway I see fit'. Chaiken even admitted on camera that had she known the public outcry over Dana's death would be so deafening she may have rethought that plotline. During the one-hour special leading up to the series finale, Jennifer Beals (Bette) and Laurel Holloman (Tina) were lauding the viewers about how that without "our" support the show would not have been possible.

Considering her "questioning" Dana's death, why then did Chaiken give all of "us" who helped keep "The L Word" alive such a bullshit finale, one she had to know would piss her core viewers off?

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails