Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ripley of Sun Media says Favre just "shows up to work"; Consecutive streak of 275 games not impressive

In an article that appeared the day before Brett Favre announced his retirement, Stephen Ripley of Sun Media wrote an article on the greatest streaks in sports history. Notably absent were Cal Ripken's consecutive games (baseball) and Brett Favre's 253 consecutive games (not including playoffs) in football. Here's the article.

And here's my reply which I sent to Mr. Ripley:

Regarding your story on Top 10 greatest sports streaks...there are some impressive names (and streaks) on the list. I especially liked your No. 5 - American hurdler Edwin Moses, who won every single 400-metre race he entered, a total of 122 straight victories over a nine year, nine month and nine day period. In an event in which a single misstep can lead to disaster, Moses' streak IS remarkable, and I know this very well because I was a hurdler in high school (highs and 330 yards lows, All-Conference and All County my senior year with a best low hurdle time of 39.6 seconds and I beat black men from Racine Case and Park High Schools).

And I won't argue about not putting Ripken or Favre on the list for two reasons, 1) I'm a Favre/Packer fan, and 2) Any list is subjective.

However, when you say an athlete has to do more than just show up to work and than put Ripken and Favre in that sentence, you demean each of those athletes, you demean what they've accomplished and finally, you demean any credibility your story had with me.

I'm not in-tune with Ripken's record, but Favre not only "showed up to work" for 16 years with the Packers, but he excelled(s)...consistently - what rock did you crawl out from under in order to write this column? Favre owns every major Packer QB record, every major NFL QB record, has had only one losing season with the Packers (there were two 8-8 seasons), 3-time league MVP, Super Bowl Champ and has "shown up to work" for 253 consecutive games (not including playoffs over the last 16 years) and never missed a start (relieved only 7 times either due to an injury or the Packers were ahead) - among other accolades - and you say Favre's done nothing but "show up to work"? Why am I even having this conversation with a presumably knowledgeable, informed sports journalist??

You - are a dick. You're a disgrace to your professional. There's a rock calling you - find it and crawl back under it. Now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff..loved your comments on the article in Sun Media...I love your last few lines....you're a true friend of Brett !! Aunt Ev

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Related Posts with Thumbnails