Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Johnny Mathis or Josh Groban? Whose version of "O Holy Night" is better?

This may depend on your age and what you grew up listening to. My folks are big Johnny Mathis fans and have seen him in concert a lot. So am I. Yes, Groban can sing. But he's bland (like his rendition of "O Holy Night"). I'd rather sit on the toilet than listen to Groban sing this song.

My vote = Johnny. His voice is distinctive. One of the classic velvet crooners left. But listen to them both. Here's Johnny's version from around 1957. And here's toilet-boy's...I mean, Groban's version.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a little confused as to why - with the gazillion people who sing this song - you would choose to compare Johnny and Josh's versions?

Obviously you don't like Josh, so I'm guessing it's more of an opportunity to gripe, whine - than to be fair or truthful. Very nasty to call Josh toilet-boy, also - and not true.

But while I'm not a child and grew up listening to Johnny - probably in your parents age-group, let me tell you that at one time his voice was a soothing, comforting presence. But then..........I watched an X-File show - The Peacock's. It was as disturbing as they came then about a backwoods family - inbred - deformed, animalistic, And the song that was featured was Johnny's Wonderful. Played during an especially gross scene, I've never been able to listen to it again. And truthfully, a few weeks ago when he was on Oprah and sang with Josh - if it hadn't been for Josh being on, I wouldn't have watched. But time heals - smile - and I found myself enjoying his voice once again. Maybe I'll listen to him again sometime. But comparison???? Hardly. They are two different performers, two different styles and while Johnny is a legend - Josh isn't far behind - actually he is probably neck and neck at this point regardless of what you believe.

Interesting blog - but sometimes it makes you wonder.

jeff ircink said...

lakeshoredrive,

appreciate the comment. regardingn the X-File show, i'm assuming (being an actor and playwright) that Mathis' song "Wonderful" may have been used as a juxtaposition of moods - pretty song played against a not-so-pretty moment. it's a technique often used in film or theater or TV.

why the comparison? i've just been hearing both versions of this song on the radio constantly and it made me think. as i mentioned, Groban is talented and has a great voice - no denying that. i personally think his style is bland - to me. i know 5 singers in Cedar Rapids, IA whose voices are more distinctive than Groban's and who i rather listen to. that includes Mathis. and no, i don't care for Groban so it is an opportunity to rant (which is what i do on my blog often) and it's truthful - my truth, how i feel. fair? well, is anyone's opinion necessarily fair?

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails