Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Chirp, chirp, KERPLUNK!! Downing pheasants in the Northwoods.

Ahhhhhh...sunset in the North Woods of Wisconsin. I was privy to my first bow & arrow pheasant hunt up at Woods & Meadow Hunting preserve, a 1,000 acre hunting preserve in Jackson County. Heard a lot of good things about this hunt...and I was not disappointed. My brother, Jas, cousin Gerry, Uncle Fran and Greg Pilot accompanied me and acted as my guides and mentors, as well as providing the fellowship that keeps a man laughing and chipper on a cold Wisconsin day in January. Guys say, "it don't get much better than this". I'm lucky enough to be able to say that every time I'm with these gentlemen - as well as other family and friends of mine. We've all spent years bowhunting and fishing together, but it's been a while since I've been in the bush with Ger and Greg. What a wonderful day of hunting! I won't go into too much detail about the day or strategies - the pics are self-explanatory.

14 pheasants were released. The dogs bagged a couple of pheasants and I shot the one I'm holding (below), with an assist from Greg. You think trying to hit a deer with an arrow is tough - try shooting a pheasant with one. 18 lost floo floo arrows (the type of arrow used in bird hunting). Temps were around 20 degrees (minus 2 or so below with wind chill), but Ger outfitted me with a hunting vest complete with handwarmers in the 8 vest pouches so I was toasty. Come on...I just moved back to WI from Cali so my blood's still a tad thin. $70 per guy included Amy's tip and it was well worth it.

Right to left: Uncle Fran, Greg Pilot, Jas, me and my pheasant, Ger with our guide dog, Fluffy. It wasn't Fluffy...I can't remember his name now. "White dog", Amy called it at times. Amy was our guide, walking us through the corn fields while keeping the pup on the scent trail.

And at the end of the hunt, we had time to do a bit of plinking. Plunking? 4 shots at a bush 100-yards away. We all came close but brother Jas nailed the bush dead center. Following the hunt, we feasted on pizza and caught the last quarter and a half of the Packer-Cardinal wildcard game (sorry Packer fans but I did relish Rodgers' fumble in OT that led to a Cardinal win) and made the long 3-hour drive home. Videos to follow later. Click on READ MORE! for a few more shots of what was an idyllic day of fellowship and Nature in the North Woods of Wisconsin.

The boys - in pursuit of the elusive ring-necked pheasant!

Jas and Uncle Fran -playing or hunting...or both.

Greg - the Sam Elliott of Wisconsin and throwback hunter - taking one of many long walks down the cornfield rows.

Jas and me with my prize pheasant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! i cannot imagine hitting something that moved, let alone a pheasant (small bird) while bowhunting. my father used to take me pheasant hunting with him and our dog (german shorthair)... oh the memories of my childhood (although my arrows now, only go towards stationary objects with no life... i do understand hunting.) ;-) ... my uncle Lynn says it makes the "hunt" equal.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails