Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Trouble with Sports Predictions

You see it on all the news sportscasts, the sports networks, online, radio and in the newspapers. Sports know-it-alls and fans alike predicting the outcome of games.

Not me. I never predict or have predicted the Packers would win any particular game. I say, "they're favored to win so they should" or "they're the better team, so they should win", but you will never hear me say, "the Packers will win the NFC Championship this year" or "the Pack is going to the Super Bowl this season". If you're wrong, you come across as a total moron, which is pretty much what I think of sports columnists and broadcasters AND fans who make such bold assertions. Hey, if you've got a crystal ball and KNOW for certain the outcome of a game, please - let me borrow it for a while. I have lots of questions to ask it.

You predict one team will win over another. Big deal. You have a 50/50 chance of being correct. Ooooooo - what a soothsayer you are. You're a top-notch seer, a wizard who knows all. Won't Gandalf and Merlin be jealous. Impressive. Your friends will love you and think you know a lot about sports. And you'll get laid by hot chicks with no more of a brain than you.

Case in point (and I'm being brief 'cause I could go on and on and on). Not that much was expected out of Brett Favre or the Green Bay Packers at the start of the 2007 season. Pro Football Weekly projected a modest 7-9 record for Green Bay, and a second place finish in the NFC North behind the defending champion Chicago Bears, who were picked to go 11-5. In addition, Pro Football Weekly released a player ranking based on 2006 production, current value to the team, career numbers and potential. The Top 10 quarterbacks included Donovan McNabb (No. 5), Marc Bulger (No. 6), and Chad Pennington (No. 9). Woof, woof, woof. Rounding out the Top 15 were Vince Young, No. 11; Steve McNair, No. 12; Michael Vick, No. 13; Favre, No. 14; and Tony Romo, No. 15 (Romo, an undrafted free agent, came into the league with no expectations or fanfare).

Now you see why I don't make predictions. IDIOTS.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails