Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty, oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen..."

"...knotted, polka-dotted, twisted, beaded, braided, powdered, flowered, and confettied, bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!"
All lyrics in this post by James Rado and Gerome Ragni. Songs included: HAIR, Sodomy, What A Piece of Work is Man. HAIR poster design by Michael Butler.

How'd you guess?? The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical - HAIR, turns 40 this month, as it debuted Off-Broadway at The Public Theater in October, 1967. And it's a special anniversary for me as I, Jeffrey James Ircink, am a member of the Iowa Tribe, having performed in the show in the fall of 1994 at the University of Iowa (one of three non-students in the production).

That's Gerome (Jerry) Ragni in the center - above, and James Rado in the center, below, co-authors of HAIR. They helped to open the West Coast (LA) premiere in 1969 as Berger and Claude, the roles they originated on Broadway.

Above: And that's me. Whoa!! Long hair, Fu Manchu, indian dream catcher 'round my neck and in my ear, fur vest, suede knee-high boots (trust me, I'm wearing them - they're vintage AND I still have them) and blue eyeshadow - if that ain't hippie-ish then I don't know what is. Look funny? That's cool - I got laid despite it.

Well, that's me (left) in June 2007 - with eyeliner, at Solstice in Santa Barbara, and without - to the right, in Chicago in August 2007. I think I've aged well in 13 years, do you?

Opening night of HAIR at the University of Iowa. Peter Yarrow from Peter, Paul and Mary on my right, and Michael Butler on my left - the original producer of HAIR who took it from Off-Broadway at The Public Theater in NYC to Broadway.

The authors of HAIR - Back - Galt McDermott (music), Front - James Rado and Jerry Ragni (book and lyrics). Rado played Claude and Ragni played Berger in the Broadway production. Photo by Dagmar. Her site is: http://home.flash.net/~akstudio/dagmar.html

There's so much I'd love to say about this musical. Nobody, however, can say it better than two of the primary creative forces behind HAIR's success - James Rado and Michael Butler. Check out their websites that will entertain you thoroughly, complete with news clippings, pictures, video and music. Jim Rado's site (book & lyrics) is http://www.hairthemusical.com/ and Michael Butler's site (producer) is http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/.

HAIR was revolutionary in many ways - primarily in that it ushered in and defined the "rock musical" and was really the first show that mimicked what was happening on the streets and in society at that time "on stage". People actually thought the actors were street people, hippies - whatever. And I suppose they were hippies, in a way. It was the first show on Broadway with nudity (something about being the "1st" and "nudity") which led to some awkward moments in some cities. In several cities, "the show" was charged with the desecration of the American flag and the use of obscene language. Two cases eventually went to the U.S. Supreme Court. I suppose with lyrics such as, "Sodomy, fellatio, cunnilungus, pederasty - father, why do these words sound so nasty? Masturbation can be fun. Join the holy orgy, kama sutra, everyone," more than a few people were outraged. (And yes, I was one of a handful of nude actors in my production of HAIR - first on stage, walking hand-in-hand with another woman in an Adam and Eve-esque moment to open the show.)

HAIR opened Off-Broadway at The Public Theater in NYC in 1967. Michael Butler had the balls and money to moved it the Cheetah in NYC - then to Broadway. He and Rado/Ragni/McDermott have been associated with it ever since. Ragni passed away in 1991. The show opened on Broadway in 1968 and ran for around 1,873 shows. Then it moved to London and Los Angeles. The music? It speaks for itself. Not only were the songs hits within the stage show, but a few of them went on to become smash hits on the radio - HAIR (#2 on Billboard's Top 100 for The Cowsills), Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (#2 on Billboard for The 5th Dimension), Good Morning, Starshine (#3 on Billboard for Oliver), Easy to Be Hard (#4 on Billboard for Three Dog Night) - the doozies from the show. Hold it - these renditions (which some of you may remember more so than the versions in the musical) are as equally as good and I love them as much as the musical renditions. Go on YouTube or Amazon and search them out! Now, in my production, I was fortunate to sing the duet, What A Piece of Work Is Man, adapted from the play, Hamlet. And I sang on most of the others as a member of THE TRIBE.

Do yourself a favor and check out this video of the original Los Angeles cast of HAIR on the Smothers Brother's Comedy Hour in 1969 (I think).
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OyGEDOOEaMM

That's James Rado in the long blond hair with the indian headband on and Jerry Ragni in the black frizzy hair, singing with him in the song, HAIR. That's your two creators having the time of their lives (I bet). The songs sung in this video are, in order: Aquarius, HAIR and Let the Sunshine In. I never knew this video existed - it's a rarity. And it's fun. Listen and watch. Close your eyes and you'll find yourself floating back to '69. I can't believe it but I was 5 years old. Listen to the words. Do you think these songs have any relevance today? You bet they do.

As I mentioned, I was one of three non-students cast in the university production. Not only did I not know anyone (which isn't a big deal in theater) but there was somewhat of an age gap - 9 years or so. No matter. This was HAIR - and we began to gel as I assume every cast of HAIR before me did and every cast afterwards. And speaking of casts, here's a few of the celebs who were TRIBE members like myself:

Nell Carter, Ben Vereen, Diane Keaton, Ted Lange (Isaac in The Love Boat), Keith Carradine, Meat Loaf, Ted Neeley (originated the role of Jesus in the movie, Jesus Christ Superstar in 1973 and has played the same role on stage since the 1970's), Dobie Gray, Jennifer Warren ("Up Where We Belong", "It's the Right Time of the Night" and "I've Had the Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing), Melba Moore, Shelley Plimpton, Phillip Michael Thomas (Miami Vice), Joe Mantegna, David Patrick Kelly (the bad guy in The Warriors - "Warriors...come out and play-ee-ay!"), Richard O'Brien (Riff-Raff and creator of The Rocky Horror Picture Show), Tim Curry (Frank-n-Furter in Rocky Horror), Elaine Paige (Grizabella in Cats, Evita) and Steven Weber (Wings).

Above: HAIR cast at The Public Theater. Photo courtesy of Dagmar.

HAIR's popularity began to diminish in the late 70's and 80's, and then a revival began in the 90's - which is when I got involved with it. It has played all over the world and is currently performing somewhere as we speak. And why not? With a message of peace and love, why shouldn't that message be as universal today as it was back in 1967?

I am very lucky to have been associated with HAIR. I feel blessed that - today, I am still a member of "the Tribe" - something very few people can say. And whenever I hear a song on the radio from the show or listen to the soundtrack, I smile and sing along. It's one of my fondest theater memories. To all of you - Michael, James, Galt and the late Jerry Ragni - I thank you and I love you all.

This post is dedicated to Jerry - "What a piece of work is man...".

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails