Passion = Truth? How Jeffrey James Francis Ircink Sees The World? I love when people are passionate about something. That surging of emotion is the one honest measure of what truth is. It's a truthful display of how a person really feels about something or someone at that particular moment. That passion IS truth.



About me...

My photo
Greendale, Wisconsin, United States
Ex-producer of THE REALLY FUNNY HORNY GOAT INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM FESTIVAL, playwright, actor, singer, outdoorsman, blogger, amateur photog, observer & bitcher, Beach Boys groupie, Brett Favre fanatic, lover of everything Celtic and forever a member in the Tribe of HAIR. Spent most of my life in the Village of Waterford, a small town just outside of the Milwaukee suburbs. After 12 years in North Hollywood, Bel Air and Culver City, Cali, I moved back to Wisconsin in September 2009. No regrets - of moving to LA OR moving back to WI. Have traveled to Belfast, Ireland, Dayton (OH), Manhattan, Seattle, Cedar Rapids, New York, Miami and Sydney, Australia with my plays. Moved back into the Village of Greendale where I was born. Life is good.

Celtic!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

1935-1977

It was 30 years ago today that the world lost The King. I'm a huge Elvis fan. So is my Uncle Fran. 50's , 60's or 70's Elvis. Movie Elvis. Army Elvis. Comeback Elvis. Vegas Elvis. Thin or Heavier. It doesn't matter. Whether you appreciated him or not, he influenced popular culture, influenced other musicians and singers and is as much of an icon now as he was when he was alive.

Here's a few links to enjoy. This first one is a trailer for the '68 Comeback Special: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0sQhc5XbBhE, and the next is Elvis singin' a funny tune with clips of him in the background: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RUr-YO0d8To and the last one is stills from my favorite Elvis movie, Blue Hawaii: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ATkeoBqSeGE&feature=related. Oh wait, one more. This is for my Uncle Fran - the song, "Slicin' Sand" from Blue Hawaii: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4F1YJF226Tw&mode=related&search=. And another one of my favorite Elvis movies, the trailer for Girl Happy, co-starring one of my favorite wahini's, Shelley Fabares (by the way, the only actress to co-star with The King in three movies): http://youtube.com/watch?v=q0eckrMHIGk

I could go on and on - but I'll stop here. OK - last one...the "laughing version" of Elvis singing, "Are You Lonesome Tonite?": http://youtube.com/watch?v=anzKcrHC-6s&mode=related&search=. Alright...I'm done.

Among the many awards and honors bestowed on Elvis, there's one he was particularly proud of, given to him by The Jaycees (the largest service organization in the world). Elvis was named 'One of the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation' by the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce in 1971. Elvis' filmed acceptance speech has always been a favorite of mine, as is this excerpt from the speech:

"...When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed, has come true a hundred times...I'd like to say that I learned very early in life that 'Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.' So I keep singing a song..." - Elvis Presley, Jaycees acceptance speech (January 16th, 1971).

Funny - he was the same age as I am now. I look at what he had accomplished in his life and then I look at myself. But...he was The King, baby, you know? I miss him. Long live The King.

PS. My cousin Rob turns 43 today. Happy Birthday, Rob.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails